Monday, January 24, 2011

Eat. Laugh.

    

 Photo Credit: Dana Tanamachi

     I tend to cover my mouth a lot when I eat. And, I'm also hesitant to laugh out loud with my family. I have this theory of Unveiled Vulnerability.

     To me, watching someone eat can either be incredible grotesque or extremely vulnerable. I was honestly brought to tears, a couple years back, when I watched people at a food bank eat their food on the side of the road.

     And as with eating, knowing what a person laughs at, if you pay attention, will tell you something intimate about a person.

     If I've laughed out loud around you, it usually means I feel free. And no, I don't mean, if I've laughed at you falling down. I mean, if we can honestly share a laugh. There's something so intimate about laughing. I can't exactly pin-point what it is, but your guard is down in a way that it's normally not.

     But when I laugh,  I feel that rush of excitement and freedom. At the same time, I have the slight fear of being judged for the particular thing I'm laughing at, but by that point, the laughter has already come out of me.

     What we laugh at gives away some of our secrets. And frankly, I don't know if I'm ready to give away all my secrets just yet.

     So with that said, I'll continue to occasionally cover my mouth while I eat, and pay attention to what I laugh at. I may learn something new about myself.


Wisdom's Knocking:

Who have you laughed with lately? You share more in common with them than you think.


No comments: