Sunday, January 23, 2011

Boogie Down

 Photo: Leroy Hutson-- Album: Paradise -- Song: "Classy Lady"
  
     Am I the only one who sees the most dignified people in traffic digging in their noses? And I don't mean with a tissue. I feel ashamed when we both lock eyes right after they've been searching for the green treasure. We both give each other that look that says, "I don't know? It just happened. Just this one time. You understand. Good. Goodbye."

     I don't know when it officially became socially unacceptable to pick your nose (among other things) in public. It probably phased out with loud belching and farting in public. Of which I'm glad there's a new sense of discretion with those things. I'm just fascinated with the idea of intimacy, privacy, and identity connected to what we would describe as etiquette, or manners.

     Speaking of manners, if one unknowingly has a hanging boogie, the usual friend code is to hand them a tissue and tell them they have a "hanger/boogie". If it's a stranger, hand them a tissue, and just give them the eye. Which eye? It doesn't matter, as long as it's not creepy. Scratch that. It's already creepy that you're handing a stranger a tissue. Therefore, I'll get back to you on that one.

     But more importantly, I simply wanted to say, if I see you picking your nose in public, I will most likely lock eyes with you and try to pull you off that ledge. It just looks bad and unsophisticated. I know, I know, I should be way past such superficial trivialities, but we may have to shake hands later. And I'd rather not boogie down with your cold virus that is now attached to your hand. Plus, we're not in the first grade anymore, well some of you may be...emotionally. But that's a whole other blog. 

Wisdom's Knocking:

Sometimes the issues that we are hiding, are far more visible than we'd like to believe.

No comments: