Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Probably Not

   Photo Credit: Ashley Johnson  


     Last week was an amazing work week for me. I managed an amazing team of about 10 folks in my department, to help execute a successful backstage experience for one of the top award shows in the world. But in my team, one of those folks working for me, kept asking,"Am I doing a good job? I'm doing a good job, right...Right?" This sort of blatant insecurity doesn't sit well with me in a professional work environment.

     Instead, I wish that these folks would simply take the approach of observing, asking pertinent questions, listening intently, and simply jumping in anytime there's a task at hand without me having to hold their hand or prod them to do it. Hesitancy in many arenas will get you killed. And in my line of work, if you are not able to execute something within a specific time frame and to the best of your ability, your job and reputation will be at stake.

     Now, I'm not a completely horrific task master, but I do have high expectations for those that join me and my team for the line of work that I do. At the same time, I  also exercise grace. I understand that being thrown into a pool and not being able to swim may be a bit stressful to say the least. But trying to lean in on my good graces through perceived favoritism, will get you know where with me. I simply want to see how you work, your initiative and how well you work within a team.

     I truly enjoy what I get to do, regarding my vocation. Mostly because it involves a sense of community. A majority of the folks that I work with know how to play well with others along with working their butts off.

     So if you're doing a good job, you won't have to ask if you are. Does that make sense? So, if you have to ask if you're doing a good job, you're probably not...

     Because if you aren't doing a good job, either you'll be told or not hired. But if you are doing a good job, you'll be commended and promoted without fishing for a compliment through your own insecurities.



Wisdom's Knocking:

Do little things with great love.


No comments: