Tuesday, June 28, 2011

But It's You



     So sometimes, when I start surfing the web or getting ready to write a blog post, I like to hear noise in the background, so I'll just let the TV stay on a random channel while I do other things. 9 times out of 10, I land on some awful reality show that somehow hooks me.

     Tonight's special attraction is "Basketball Wives". I know you know what I'm talking about. And what the heck! Tammi from the "Real World" season 2 is on this show?  I can't believe season 2 of the "Real World" was 17 years ago. But I digress.

     Anyhow, the episode that played in the background while I thought of my next blog, was with the "character", Jennifer being set up on a blind double date. Meaning she was with her good friend and her friend's husband while waiting to have a nice dinner double date.

     Nevertheless, she was extremely nervous and anxious. And when her handsome date arrived, she was even more fidgety. Her fidgetiness made me nervous just watching her. And she kept saying in the scene, "This is all so awkward...so uncomfortable...I haven't been in the dating scene in years...This is so awkward."

     But looking at the other folks in the scene, no one else seemed uncomfortable--just Jennifer. Making me think...that it wasn't really an awkward situation, it was just her.

     How many times do we sabotage ourselves? Sometimes we're carrying a lot more baggage than we think, and we're so concerned with fitting in and not stepping on toes that we ourselves forget to breathe. And somehow along the way, we've forgotten that we already belong.

     Don't let this life's journey be about gaining someones approval and consideration, but let it be about resting in the truth that you are already loved, already accepted, and that you already belong.

    So the next time you're in an awkward situation--just step back for a second and reevaluate why you think it's awkward. It may not be the situation, it may just be you.




Wisdom's Knocking:

Allow yourself to get comfortable in your own skin: Appreciate and love your quirks, without being threatened by someone else's beauty and uniqueness.


No comments: