Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Tortoise & the Hare

   

Photo Credit: Bethany Mossburg


     It's always nice when we can get to our destination quickly and in a timely matter. When the dreams of our hearts are still burning with fiery passion, pushing us forward with an almost divine energy of sorts. And we often think that fierce and full movement will on it's own bring about the fruition and fulfillment of what has been longed for.

     And then comes a pause.

     This seemingly wrecks the momentum of what spurred us forward in the first place. It's the dreaded wilderness. The place of waiting. The place of healing. The place of waiting. The place of processing. The place of waiting.

     Oh, the identity-shaping wilderness. It's in these "slow" places where we really develop into who we are meant to be. And even more so, who we are meant to be when we receive the full gift of our destiny and calling.

     You've heard the term, "Overnight Success."

     I giggle and often roll my eyes when I hear that term. You know why? Because rarely is anyone an Overnight Success. Chances are, you'll find out that this particular person had been honing their skill and craft intentionally or unintentionally for years. And then the time came for their message (Whether in craft or skill or spoken word) to be heard, and they were ready. The message hadn't been heard before--not like that. And the world assumes it was the magic of some overnight success potion.

     But don't be fooled.

     That's just the hare talking.

     The tortoise would tell you that staying in place of passion, not rushing life, and staying present in your own life, is no easy task, but will garner the awe and wonder of those around you (Even yourself), when the time comes for your message to be heard. And believe me, at some point in time, your message will need to be heard. When that time is, I'm not quite sure. But I know that this time will exist at some point in the future.

     And how does this apply to romance? I want to be swept off my feet--in a fast and almost reckless way. But I also don't want to rush into something prematurely, and get severely burned. But even simple school girl crushes seem to bruise my soul a bit. That's always my battle. My heart is always ready, which makes it very susceptible to heartbreak and disappointment, time and time again. But the lessons learned in each scenario have been invaluable, although they've come with a price of tears.

     Recently, I was frustrated, that I, who have been waiting for just one good and magical romance in my life, was upstaged by a parade of newcomers. Those that had seemingly not walked through the wilderness of singleness for years and years, like I had.

     But instead, men and women, moments after meeting me or sharing with me their questions and desires to be in fulfilling marriage, would then in an instant, find their rib, their other half, their lifetime witness. And there I stood, once again, on the edge of valley, confused, wondering what I had done wrong. And if I somehow missed it all together.

     That's often how you feel in a race. The pace you are maintaining may not appear to be a winning pace to the speedy circumstances around you.

      But this is what I'm learning more and more: That everyone will become a tortoise at some point in their journey of life. There will be something in our lives, relationships, or circumstances  that will intentionally cause us to pause. Be sure to pay attention to the yellow lights and the red lights, not just the green lights in your life. And learn not to resent these pauses, but rather, become thankful for them. Because the ways of the tortoise not only bring forth steadiness and clarity, but sets you up for greater success in so many areas of your life.

     My tortoise portion of the race regarding romance and career just so happens to be in the earlier part of my life rather than a mid-life crisis or an end-of-life panic, and I'm become more and more okay with that.

     But nevertheless, being a tortoise is incredibly humbling.

     But I distinctly remember, that in the end, it's the tortoise who wins the race...






Wisdom's Knocking:

"These things take time..." 





No comments: