Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The Artist Next Door: Keeley "Lockn'Key" Kaukimoce - Part I

     I often don't have to look very far, to find inspiration and motivation. I'm surrounded by a ridiculous amount of dreamers, lovers, artists, teachers, and pioneers.

     For some time now, I've wanted to share these people with you in great detail and splendor. I wanted to honor their struggle, their process, their manifested dreams coming true, and those dreams that they are still contending for. I wanted you to understand how I've been shaped as a person, because of their presence in my life.

     The people that I will feature each month in this on-going series, titled, "The Artist Next Door", will highlight these extraordinary people, and will give you a sneak peak into their world, the behind the scenes of people you may have heard of, or may not have. Often I'll split my interviews with these artists into 2 parts, just for the simple fact that I like to build anticipation.

     With that said, I can guarantee--you can do anything but forget these stories or these artists after meeting them. And I'm pretty positive they'll stir something in you. Something perhaps you didn't know was still there.

     And alas, we've arrived at the beginning:


Keeley "Lockn'Key" Kaukimoce



Who has been one of the most influential people in your career and why?

I would say outside of Michael Jackson, Greg Campbellock Jr. has been the most influential.  He gave me the name "Lockn'Key" and he literally pulled me into my destiny as a locker which is helping take care of my family and allowing me to travel all over the world.  It's the platform.


How did we meet?

We met at Hope in Hollywood when Steelo told you about me.  You were looking for Christians in Hip Hop for a documentary you were working on.  I love that you went to the correct source of Hip Hop, the B-boy scene.


When you were 20 years old, what was your main goal and dream to accomplish in life?

At 20, my main goal was to be happy and in a twisted, immature way I thought that meant I had to be a super famous recording artist with a major record deal.  That's what I thought equaled happiness.



To someone that is thinking about pursuing a career in dance, possibly leaving home and moving to California or New York, what advice would you give them?

I find there are two really hard lessons I had to learn.  You have to have very tough skin to stay here.  You need to really know your REAL identity and purpose for dancing.  If it's only to be "praised" and to find acceptance, you won't last.  This city loves you one day and hates you the next then loves and hates you all over again.  I would ask them to ask themselves,  "Why do I dance?  Why do I want to dance professionally? What am I willing to give up to do it?"  

If all your answers are revolved around your satisfaction then I would say, stay in your hometown until you really know the answer.  BUT... maybe you have to just learn out here. Gotta see what God wants.    I would also say don't come here without any money.  Try to save at least 3 to 6 months of a living for yourself so you have a cushion and be willing to get a part time job too.


What has been one of the hardest internal battles you've face in your life?

I use to think I wasn't good enough.  That I'm not pretty, I'm awkward, I'm not the greatest singer or dancer and just don't fit in anywhere.    


How did you overcome?

I would say that when those thoughts try to creep in, I truly have come to understand that none of this is ultimately about me.  It's about God's creation being perfect in its "imperfections". Those imperfections allow me to lean on Him for his promotion and His anointing.  I totally rely on God.  TOTALLY.   I have accepted that I'm who He created me to be.  I believe in His power to change the things He wants to change in me and to keep and celebrate those things He doesn't want to change. 


And now, you're preparing for a missions trip to Fiji, can you tell us how this came about, and what this all is?

OOOOhhhh... That's a long one but I met Osea,  my husband when I went on my very first missions trip to Fiji in 2003.  Our marriage was literally an arranged marriage by God and all of this was confirmed through signs and wonders and prophecy.  We've always known because of the way God joined us together that we were suppose to have a ministry, and that one place would be Fiji.  We've been praying for God's plan and will to unfold for over 10 years and believe this is the year that we begin to build the foundation for all those really cool ideas He has placed in our hearts.





     Next week, I'll conclude my interview, with Keeley, where' you'll hear her heart about her new dreams and her own take on one of my favorite features on this blog--"Wisdom's Knocking." 

     Dreams takes time to unfold, and often we are changing and growing in the process to truly be able to receive the gift of such a dream. Many times our dreams don't play out or feel the way we thought they would, but if we've submitted to the process of humility and surrendered to God's best for us, we'll find out that the dreams we started with pale in comparison to the new ones ready for us.

     In preparing this interview, I simply couldn't believe that I've been apart of Keeley's journey for over ten years! And I can honestly say, that I have never met anyone else like Keeley. Her boldness, her heart, her strength, her conviction. 

     It's true. She's a fiery one. And if you stand too close, you might just get inspired...to do something bold. 



Wisdom's Knocking:
"It's everybody's duty to give the world a reason to dance." 
-Kid President











No comments: