Thursday, April 24, 2014

Holding Patterns




     I'm in a holding pattern of sorts.

     I can feel it.

     And as much as I'd like to buck the ways of the universe right now, something tells me to get still. To chill. To relax.

     This morning, I got an interesting Facebook friend request.

     When I saw the face of this guy, my stomach literally leapt, flew, fluttered, and then tried to carry on as if nothing had ever happened.

     Of course, I already knew who this guy was. But I am no longer falling for a man over a merely friendly gesture. So, I accepted the friend request with a semi-frozen heart.

     But the nerve of my heart and body to still have such a strong reaction to his presence.

     And all the while, I feel like a little red plane circling in the skies, waiting for the control tower to give me permission to land.

     Land where, exactly? I'm not entirely sure.

     But I spent a Wednesday with one of my dearest friends, Yajaira.



     We spent the day eating, walking, bumping into old friends, people watching, and listening to each other's tales of heartbreak and disappointment.

     I don't know how long this holding pattern will last, I'm honestly praying that it will be over once I wake up tomorrow, or by the time you finish reading this post.

     But repeat after me: "Good things still happen."



     They happen in big packages and small. And sometimes even medium packages.

     Today, Yajaira and I embraced our small packages, called them blessings, and hugged each other like sisters when it was time to say good-bye.




     We in our laugh-crying state of being, hope that our future is more memorable than our past, but we are painfully aware that it will take blood, sweat, and tears--otherwise known as waiting, to get there.

     Meanwhile, life is still being lived.

     Beauty is still all around us.




     And even though the drab of missed opportunities and unmet expectation linger in the atmosphere, God is known for taking brokenness aside and making it oh, so incredibly and surprisingly beautiful.




Wisdom's Knocking:

"He has made everything beautiful in its time." 

In its time.

-Ecclesiastes 3:11a









No comments: