Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Honest Friendships

     


     This art of belonging and choosing.

     Or rather choosing and belonging. It's an art.

     I recently came across this quote from Diane Keaton:

"A friend – that's a commitment. It's as close as you can get to family, and sometimes it's even closer. Friendship requires a lot of time. I don't have a lot of friends; I have acquaintances and people I think are charming, and I like to see them. I like to see Sarah Jessica Parker, I like to see Meryl Streep. I don't know them – I mean, I made a movie with them, once, and that's nice – but I know nothing about their lives."

     I'm realizing more and more that everyone, as amazing as they are and might be, will not be able to have the same access to your life, or to my life. Nurturing relationships is absolutely worth it and takes concentrated and intentional time, which we know is the most precious commodity of all. And you are one person with the same 24 hours in a day as every one else and can only successfully contribute to a certain amount of relationships.

     A few weeks ago I asked one of my best friend's to answer these questions about myself:


     Are there any areas of my life that you find off-putting?

Hmm. I'm really searching for something now and I think a lot of people (myself included) suffer from this... but maybe your schedule? Between the shows/work and ministry related duties, it's hard to see you/talk to you. And I completely realize that you are not a phone person so texting is great (neither am I so this is why we are friends) but maybe that is harder for some folks who like to talk in person or on the phone?


     What are ways I could be a better friend?

Pick up the phone! j/k...kind of ;)


     Which of my character traits will be a blessing to my future spouse?

Your empathy, your generosity, your prayerfulness, your trust in God, your beauty (in and out), your strength, your vulnerability! 


     Which of my character traits will be burden to my future spouse?

Maybe all the traits that I just listed as a blessing? As long as your traits are yoked with someone who is capable of recognizing those as blessings. I know you desire to have a husband who is able to lead your family (and that includes you), and I also know that you have natural leadership qualities. But I think finding the right balance will be key in this area especially as you help him grow as the spiritual head of your family.


+++++++


     I love honest friendships.

     There's freedom in theses safe spaces of life with the people we call friends.

     The freedom to be fully yourself, and the freedom to grow. #priceless

     Love thrives here.






Wisdom's Knocking:

"There's no legacy as rich as honesty."

- William Shakespeare, "All's Well That Ends Well"





No comments: