Monday, July 30, 2012

A Table Set Before Me in the Presence of My Enemies

Photo Credit: Kristen Hilyard


     Thank you haters. Thank you frenemies.

     I know what you're thinking. How in the world does Patrice have enemies? Yes, that's what I once thought, and then I kept on living...

     Jealousy, miscommunication, misunderstandings, and many other petty reasons have caused haters and enemies to be in close proximity to you and I. Whether they are the type of enemy that stays semi-close by to simply keep up with what's going on in your world, or the enemy that is close enough to give you death stares of intimidation, spewing from their own fears and insecurity. It doesn't matter. Why?

     Because you and I will flourish and thrive... EVEN in the presence of our enemies.

     Their presence cannot steal what has been placed before you. Set specifically for you.

     And then I look at how the personal lives of my enemeies are flourishing. And 8 times out of 10 they're not-- and they are simply projecting their discouragement onto others.

     The toil and glory in dealing with an enemy has been a lesson I've been gleaning from over the last few years.

     Nevertheless, Good, Good, Good things are being prepared for you and I. A glory that we have not yet seen, and the audience will not just be our fans, but most likely, our enemies as well.

     The good promises in your life will still prevail, in the most impossible of ways.

     You'll smile when it's all said and done. You'll smile when you see different parts of the table being set for you. Especially because it was being set for you. You didn't have to do all of it on your own. God's face is shining on your life. And there goes your enemies huffing and puffing in disapproval. Oh well, they'll simply have to huff and puff.

     I'm a firm believer in Forgiveness. And of letting things go. Constantly. And I freely extend forgiveness to those that harbor resentment and unforgiveness towards me. I've purposed in my heart to not allow bitterness to stay for more than 3 seconds. Because that's all it takes. In mere moments bitterness creeps over your heart like a blanket, and then wraps itself around you like a deceptive smothering cocoon. Leaving you utterly restricted. Unable to smile at people...Unable to smile at all...unable to truly feel and cuts you off from the vivid human experience.

     Bitterness never kills its perceived distant target, but instead, self mutilates the carrier of such a drug.

     So in contrast to that bitterness and resentment that so easily perfumes itself around my clever enemies, my favorite thing to do in the presence of my enemies is to be a well-spring of joy, love, and forgiveness.

     A table is being set.

    These haters and enemies force us into a much more mature level of love and wisdom, one that we had not known previously. An impossible victory that is so much sweeter.

     No matter what enemy you are facing now--People or Places. Or the proximity of your enemy to your dreams, calling, identity--There is still a sacred place of blessing waiting just for you, even in the waiting-- that will absolutely perplex your enemies.

     One of the best things you can do in front of you enemy is to smile authentically with love beaming in your eyes directly into theirs, when you see each other.

     Because the table has been set.



Wisdom's Knocking:

"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil. My cup overflows" - Psalm 23:5

No comments: